Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Cabbage Skillet

If you are looking for a fancy meal to serve at your next dinner party, this may not be it.  But if you are looking for a meal that pleases even the picky eaters.... this may be your lucky day!
My kids and I have been staying with my wonderful family while we wait until the closing on our new home.  That means there are 14 mouths to feed at times! 15 or more when my hubby is able to come for the weekend or neighboring siblings drop by! That's a lot of people to please! Amazingly, each time I have made this I never get a "ugh" or "that again?".  Instead I get "yes!" and "yum"!
No complaints there! :)

So here is what you will need:

1 pound seasoned pork sausage
1 medium head cabbage
3 carrots
1 green pepper
1 large onion
4 potatoes
1-2 T. Worcestershire sauce
1/2 cup water
salt and pepper


First, brown the sausage in a large skillet. 
I love to use my Mom's Dutch oven! But, if you don't have one, a skillet will work. 
Next, you will need to cut the potatoes lengthwise and then thinly slice them.  
(They should appear as half moons.)
Now, dice the onion.
Grate the carrots. I use a cheese box grater...works great!
Chop the green pepper.
 

Add all the chopped, sliced, and grated "goodies" to the pot.
Salt and pepper generously and add worcestershire sauce.
Add the water.
Turn the heat to med-high and cover.


Shred cabbage and add to the pot.
After a few minutes, turn the heat to medium. 
Continue to simmer until all veggies are thoroughly cooked. (No one likes crunchy potatoes.) ;)
You will need to stir the mixture occasionally.


When it is all done it will look
 something like this. :)


It is great as it is or serve with ketchup or sweet and sour sauce.
It's almost like an egg roll with no wrapper and no oil! :)




1 comment:

Check these out!