Search This Blog

Friday, December 27, 2013

Ginger Cookies


 

To my regret, as much as I love to bake, Christmas snuck up on me this year. In the past, a week before Christmas, I would have an assortment of delicious goodies. Although it saddens me that I didn't get to make my cookies, I am happy that I was able to take a mini vacation to the north to see my family. I think that was worth more than a few marshmallow wreaths. 

 I did, however, at the request of my mother in law, make time to make these ginger cookies. They are one of my father in laws favorites! With one kind of cookie and a cup of coffee, we still enjoyed our "goodies".


INGREDIENTS

4 1/2 cups flour
4 tsp. ground ginger
2 tsp. baking soda
1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. ground cloves
1/4 tsp. salt
1 1/2 cups shortening
2 cups sugar
2 eggs
1/2 cup molasses
3/4 cup sugar 

Step 1: Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Step 2: In a medium bowl, mix flour, ginger, soda, cinnamon, cloves, and salt.
Step 3: In a large bowl, blend shortening for about 30 seconds. 
Step 4: Add sugar and mix until well blended.
Step 5: Add eggs and molasses. Mix until well blended.
Step 6: blend in as much flour mixture as you can. Stir in the rest.
Step 7: Form balls and roll in sugar. Place on an ungreased cookie sheet.
Step 8: Bake approximately 12 minutes or until cookies are light brown and puffed. Do not overbake. After taking them out of the oven, allow to set for 2 minutes. Remove and let cool on wire rack. 

*I usually half this recipe. Using a 1 ounce scoop, half a batch yields approximately 24 cookies.


I hoe you enjoy these cookies as much as "Papa Joe" does! 

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!







1 comment:

Check these out!