Search This Blog

Friday, January 24, 2014

Easy "Pea"sy Slow Cooker Split Peas Soup & Country Style Corn Muffins


As I got out of bed this morning, I mentally started jotting down projects/errands I had to do today.  While standing in front of the mirror, putting on my makeup, I realized my list was longer than I was expecting it to be.  In order to be able to scratch more than a couple of those items off my list, I knew I was going to need something super easy for dinner.
Nothing makes dinner easier than using a slow cooker.  My man (after me insisting that it's not a boring gift) got me a Ninja Slow Cooker for Christmas.  I LOVE IT! But back to the point :)...easy meal...slow cooker.  I was planning on making pea soup today and when I looked up the recipe, I saw the "slow cooker" version at the bottom. This is such an easy recipe and it is really delicious!

* I think the flavors get better after a couple days so I double the recipe below so I have enough for Mikey's lunches.*

Pea Soup

1 1/2 cups peas, rinsed
2 3/4 c. water
14 oz chicken broth
1 to 1 1/2 lb. meaty ham bone (Because I didn't have a ham bone, I just used Kentucky Legend Ham and cut it in chunks. Worked great!)
1/8 tsp. pepper
1/8 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. marjoram
1 bay leaf
1/2 c. onion, chopped
1/2 c. carrots, chopped
1/2 c. celery, chopped

In the slow cooker, add chunked ham, peas, onion, celery, and carrots.  Sprinkle salt, pepper, and marjoram.  Top with water and chicken broth.  Toss in bay leaf.  (Don't forget to remove after cooking.) Cook on high for 4 to 5 hours or low for 6 to 7 hours. Stir occasionally. 

HOW EASY IS THAT?!?


Country Style Corn Muffins

1 large egg
1 1/3 c milk
1/4 cup vegetable oil
2 cups Martha White-Plain Enriched White Corn meal
1 tsp salt
1 T baking powder

In a large bowl, beat egg.  Add corn meal, milk, oil, salt, and baking powder.  Mix until well blended.  Should be a little runny. 

Bake at 450 degrees for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.  

I used a cupcake pan.  Placing liners in the pan, I filled each cup 2/3 full.  

*This is definitely not my favorite corn muffin recipe.  I found that they don't come out very easy from the muffin liners.  The still taste good but if you are going for presentation, say if someone was coming over, I would not use this recipe.  They end up looking more like little corn biscuits after you remove them. :)  I will definitely post another corn muffin recipe when I find a better one. *



No comments:

Post a Comment

Check these out!