Search This Blog

Friday, August 22, 2014

Cauliflower "Alfredo"



I have mentioned in past posts that I am very excited for my little sister's wedding.  I can't believe my little sister is getting married!!  I feel so old. :/

Despite all the excitement, some inevitable events go along with weddings that are no so enjoyable (at least for us women out there who aren't a size 2).  I am talking about dress fittings.  I know I'm just a bridesmaid but, come on ladies, we all want to feel "prettified" if we are in a wedding!  The dreaded dress fitting.  Eeeeek.... I cringe just thinking about it.  

Even though I understand that all eyes will be on the bride, and maybe on the groom a little bit ;), I still don't particularly want to feel like a bloated mess.  So in preparation for the wedding...and the dress fitting...I have been, once again, trying to watch it.  Mikey and I have been doing rather well. Healthy meals, packing lunches so we don't eat out, 'good for you' snack options, etc.  The only problem... we have both been craving more MEAL type foods versus a variety of healthy snacks.

I was scanning Pinterest and I came across this recipe.  It peaked my interest.  "Alfredo" sauce with no cheese. You do have to go in it with an open mind.  It's not so much an alfredo pasta, just a yummy pasta dish.  I feel like it has many possibilities, especially since cauliflower can take on different seasonings so well.   
So, in trying to stick to our healthy eating and hoping to fit a little better into my bridesmaids dress, this was a great choice.  Give it a try and let me know what you think!

************************************************************************

Cauliflower "Alfredo"

1 head of cauliflower, chopped
4 cups vegetable broth
1/2 purple onion
1/2 green pepper
1 T. minced garlic
salt, to taste
pepper, to taste
Fettuccine noodles (4 servings)
Cherry tomatoes, sauteed, optional


1.  Chop a head of cauliflower.


2.  In a large saucepan, place cauliflower and 3 cups of vegetable broth. Bring to a boil. 


3. Chop veggies.


4.  Boil for approximately 15 minutes or until cauliflower is tender. 


5. Right after putting the cauliflower on, start your water for the fettuccine.


6.  Prepare noodles per instructions on the box. 


7. Heat the butter and olive oil. 


8.  Saute onion and pepper until tender. 


9.  When peppers and onion are done, add minced garlic. Saute another minute. 


10. Once cauliflower is tender, using a slotted spoon, place cauliflower in a food processor (or blender-that's all I have). Add 1 cup of the remaining vegetable broth.  Top with cooked veggies.  Add more seasonings if you prefer.  Blend until smooth.  Add a little bit of the extra broth if it needs to be thinned out. 
(I apologize...I somehow lost the picture in the blender.)

Strain your noodles.
Add your sauce.
Top with sauteed tomatoes.

Fast, filling, and mmm mmm good. 


The color is not the most appetizing, but I definitely enjoyed this!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Check these out!