Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Homemade Ranch Seasoning

Have you ever looked at the ingredients in a bottle of ranch dressing? Let me show you.

Hidden Valley Original Ranch Dressing
Ingredients:
VEGETABLE OIL (SOYBEAN AND/OR CANOLA), WATER, EGG YOLK, SUGAR, SALT, CULTURED NONFAT BUTTERMILK, NATURAL FLAVORS (MILK, SOY), LESS THAN 1 % OF: SPICES, DRIED GARLIC, DRIED ONION, VINEGAR, PHOSPHORIC ACID, XANTHAN GUM, MODIFIED FOOD STARCH, MONOSODIUM GLUTAMATE, ARTIFICIAL FLAVORS, DISODIUM PHOSPHATE, SORBIC ACID AND CALCIUM DISODIUM EDTA AS PRESERVATIVES, DISODIUM INOSINATE, DISODIUM GUANYLATE

I don't know about you, but there are a lot of ingredients in there that I have absolutely no idea what they are. I can barely even pronounce them.

Thanks to Ali at Gimme Some Oven, I was able to make my own homemade ranch dressing! 
So much more enjoyable now that I know what's in there. :)


Homemade Ranch Seasoning

1/3 c. dry buttermilk
2 Tbsp. dried parsley
1 1/2 tsp. dried dill weed
2 tsp. garlic powder
2 tsp. onion powder
2 tsp. dried onion flakes
1 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
1 tsp. dried chives
1 tsp. salt
powdered stevia, to taste (optional)


Now, that is a list of ingredients that I actually know. :)

(If you buy the King Arthur Dried Buttermilk Powder, the only ingredient is buttermilk!)


Just mix all the ingredients together!


Throw it in a food processor, if you'd like.



How to Make your Homemade Ranch Dressing:

1 Tbsp. homemade ranch seasoning 
1/3 c. plain Greek yogurt (or mayo)
1/4 c. milk


You can use this seasoning mix for dressing, dips, or even to rub on your chicken before cooking!


Preparing your dressing at home will make you feel even better about eating that salad!


*If you have a hard time cooking perfect hard boiled eggs, click here!*


3 comments:

  1. Yay! Tried a recipe for Ranch before and it was downright disgusting ...way too salty! Excited to try this one!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh goodness! Well, I hope you like this one! :)
      For dinner tonight, I made hamburger patties and used this seasoning along with some Cajun and salt & pepper...served them with a fried egg on top and some sauteed onions, peppers, and mushrooms. Definitely recommend. :)

      Delete
  2. Oh my goodness ...my mouth is watering! :)

    ReplyDelete

Check these out!