Search This Blog

Friday, July 25, 2014

Spicy Rice "Hotdish"



Hollering down the stairs to my husband, I asked, "What am I supposed to call this!?!?"  After stating he was as clueless as I was, I sat for a moment.  How do you name something you literally threw together at 11 
o' clock at night after having a couple beers. ( Don't judge ;)
Then it came to me! Growing up, "hotdish" consisted of throwing a bunch of stuff together. I don't know how, but it seemed like every time--VOILA! Yummy.  Well--that's how it was for my Mom, any way.  I'm working on it.  My man had more input on this than I did, but I am going to take the credit.  Shhhh....Don't tell him. :)
Anywhoooo--this is what we came up with.  We decided it was going to be a staple in our house.  It is so quick to make, very filling, and the ingredients will be on hand for one of those "quick meals". 

Please note:  We enjoy spicy food.  This does have a little kick to it.  As I noted below, to tone it down a bit, substitute poblano peppers for the jalapeno peppers. 

 SPICY RICE "HOTDISH" 

1/2 tsp. chili powder
1/8 tsp. cayenne
1/4 tsp. cumin
1/2 tsp. pepper
1 medium onion, chopped
3 medium or 2 large jalapenos (if you want it less spicy, substitute poblano peppers), chopped
3/4 red pepper, chopped
4 tsp. minced garlic
1 c. frozen corn
1 can-15 oz. black beans
4 servings of jasmine rice, according to the package directions. 
(I used 1 c. rice to 1 3/4 c. water)

1.  Chop your onion, jalapenos, and red pepper.  Set aside.  Rinse your black beans. 
2. Bring your water to a boil for the rice. Follow instructions to make 4 servings. 
3.  At the same time, heat 2 T. olive oil in a large saucepan.  When hot, add chopped veggies and garlic. 
4. Saute until tender.
5. Sprinkle seasonings.  Once again, you can decrease the cayenne if you don't want it too hot. Add a little water when you need it.  It steams out pretty fast.
*  The rice is almost done by the time your veggies are sauteed.  *
6.  Add frozen corn.  Stir for 1 minute. 
7. Add rinsed black beans. Stir. 
8. Set aside.
9.  Check rice.  If done to the consistency you prefer, fluff. 

Place a bed of rice on your plate and top with "hotdish!"





No comments:

Post a Comment

Check these out!