Search This Blog

Thursday, July 24, 2014

Spinach & Tortellini Salad

Okay, enough of the sweets. For now. I'm not sure what it is lately, but it seems like every post for me is something that will cure your strongest sweet cravings, as well as reduce the number of skinny waists out there.

 That will change now. I just have to share with you guys this recipe that I think is amazing! Not only is it the opposite of sweet, it's a SALAD. I know. I'm losing it. I don't think I've posted a salad since the Southwest Chicken Chop Salad back in March of 2013. Don't worry...I'm pretty sure I've eaten my fair share of salads since then. We just haven't made any that are worth posting. Generally, I think a salad is pretty self explanatory. You grab your greens, toss in some veggies, and pour a little (or a lot) of dressing on top. Good to go. (Are your salads any different?) That's basically what this recipe is, but it's got pasta in there, too. Hence, I'm hooked.

  I'm not huge on spinach salads, but this one... I love. The dressing has the perfect zing, and the tortellini really tops it off. We didn't eat it all for dinner, so we put the leftovers in the fridge. I wasn't sure how the spinach would hold up, but it was still good the next day! Win.

    Recipe Adapted from Food Network


Ingredients

9 oz. pkg. tortellini
zest of 1 lemon
juice of 1/2 lemon
1/2 tsp. garlic paste
1/4 c. olive oil
2 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
1 Tbsp. fresh thyme, chopped
salt and pepper, to taste
1/2 pound fresh baby spinach
1 can (14 oz.) artichoke hearts, chopped
1 roasted red pepper, chopped
1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced

Directions

Make the tortellini according to package directions.
Rinse in cold water, drain, and set aside to cool.
In a small bowl, combine the lemon juice, zest, garlic, olive oil, vinegar, thyme, and salt & pepper. Set aside.
In a large bowl, toss spinach, artichoke hearts, red pepper, and onion.
Gently toss in tortellini.
Drizzle dressing over salad and toss.
Serve immediately or refrigerate until ready to serve.


For the tortellini, we chose Buitoni's Whole Wheat Three Cheese, but you can use whatever you prefer.
After it's cooked, we spread it out on wax paper so it could cool without sticking to each other.


I love how simple this recipe is!


Doesn't the dressing look delicious??


Be sure when chopping the artichoke hearts, that you remove all the tough skins. They are usually pretty soft, but sometimes there are still a few toughies in each can.


Sooo delicious!


Enjoy!!






No comments:

Post a Comment

Check these out!