Ding Dong Cake
You will need:
1 box devils food cake mix (or your own favorite chocolate cake)
8 oz. cream cheese, softened
3 c. powdered sugar
1 stick butter, softened
8 oz. cool whip
2 cups milk chocolate icing
- Prepare and bake cake as directed on box. (Using 2 round cake pans.)
- To make the filling: Mix and cream the butter and cream cheese. Add the powdered sugar and then fold in the cool whip.
- After cake is completely cooled, split the layers to make 4 cake rounds. (TIP: you can place the uncut cakes on plates in a freezer for about 30 minutes before cutting to help you make a cleaner cut.)
- Spread filling on each layer and stack, but do not spread filling all the way to the edge of the cake. You will be able to put a thick layer of filling between the layers. The weight of the cake will press it out to the edge once you are finished. This keeps the filling from mixing with the icing.
- Now, if you have any filling left over, you can mix it with the icing. Then ice entire cake with the chocolate icing.
I made this cake awhile ago, and now it is one of my kids' most requested cakes. When it was my 6 year old little girl's birthday she said, "Mommy, can you make me a Ding Dong cake with three little ducks on it?". How can a mommy refuse such a sweet little request with big brown eyes staring up at her? So, the task began.....
I used a cooked frosting instead of a chocolate icing. This gave it a unique look.
Then, rather than using the extra filling mixed in with the icing, I spread it on top of the cake.