Search This Blog

Monday, January 7, 2013

Bordered Fleece Throw

A few months ago I was able to get a super deal on licensed fleece. It was a pre-cut piece that wasn't huge, but it was definitely a good chunk for the price. I bought it because it was a good deal, but I didn't actually have a plan on what to use it for. (I'm known to do that probably a little too often.) It turns out it's a good thing I did.
I needed a birthday gift for my brother and he's kind of a sports nut. The MN Gopher fleece that I had picked up awhile back turned out to be perfect! I decided to make a fleece throw for him since he likes to cuddle up in blankets. I just didn't want to do the generic "tie" blankets that fleece is commonly used for. I decided to try a brown fleece for the back and bring the printed fleece around the edge to give it a thick border. Here's what I did...




Cut out the back color (I used brown) to the desired size. Pick it up and lay down (right side down) the fleece you want for the front (I used my bargain-priced MN Gopher fleece :) ). Carefully lay the back over the front (right side up), so that the wrong sides are together. Cut along the edge of the front fleece leaving about a 4 inch border all the way around (the front piece should be the bigger one).




Fold the edge in about 1/2 inch...




....then, holding the 1/2 inch hem, carefully fold it to match up the folded hem to the edge of the back fleece. 




Pin it in place. Continue all the way around the sides. Gently fold in the corners, also (you may need to cut out some excess fabric at the corners if it gets too thick for your machine).




Sew along the edge where you pinned. I tried staying around 1/4 inch.




This is how I folded the corners. Each corner was sewn to close up the holes from folding. 



                         Back                            



Front




Close up of the front side hem (blanket is folded up)





No comments:

Post a Comment

Check these out!