Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Chocolate Chip Cookies


Another treat we served this weekend was a batch of chocolate chip cookies. I don't think I've ever met anyone who's never had them, and it's very rare when I find someone who doesn't like them. They're a pretty safe bet when you're not sure what people are going to like. I have been reading so many things saying that if you want cookies to be super light and fluffy, replace the baking powder with cornstarch. It seemed odd to me, but I thought I would give it a whirl. I baked them longer than the 10 minutes because they didn't look done enough, but believe me when I say, if you want fluffy cookies- take them out! Mine still turned out and my husband has been eating them every day, but they are more crisp than I intended. I'll have to follow my own directions next time. 


                                 


Ingredients

3/4 c. shortening or butter, softened 
3/4 c. brown sugar 
1/4 c. granulated sugar 
1 egg 
2 tsp. vanilla extract 
2 c. flour (I used white whole wheat flour)
2 tsp. cornstarch 
1 tsp. baking soda 
1/2 tsp. salt 
1 1/2 c. chocolate chips (I had a variety of partial bags in my freezer to use up, so I have semi-sweet chips, white chips, and mini chips...no such thing as too much chocolate, right? haha!)

Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
In a large bowl, beat butter and sugars until fluffy. Add egg, mix. Add vanilla, mix.
In a separate bowl, combine flour, cornstarch, soda & salt. Gradually mix into the butter mixture. 
Stir in chocolate chips.
Drop by tablespoonfuls onto pan, lined with parchment paper.
Bake 8-10 minutes. (If you want them light and fluffy, do not cook longer than 10 minutes! The edges will barely be brown.)




No comments:

Post a Comment

Check these out!