Search This Blog

Sunday, January 13, 2013

Huggie Pillowcases

Awhile back, one of my sisters moved out of state and I made her kids going away gifts. I made travel pillows with a handle and a pocket for books or whatever they want to put in there. With her baby coming soon, I wanted to do something similar with some of the same fabric to match the others' pillows. But I wanted something that looked a little more "baby-ish". I decided to do another Huggie Pillow like this one, but wanted to make it as a pillowcase this time so it's easier to clean. I also made these a little smaller.




 Decide how big you want the pillow to be and start with a piece of fabric that size. This will be for the back of the pillow. Hem the bottom. If you want a pocket, you should add it now. (The scissors are in the pocket to show you where it's at.)




 Next, you're going to cut out the rest of the pieces you need. 
Top left: Back piece with the pocket. 
Bottom left: Back piece to overlap (About 5 inches wide and same length as the piece above.) Hem the top of this piece. 
Right: 2 tubes of fabric stuffed with poly fill. These will be your handles.




Moving the hemmed sides toward each other, overlap the larger back piece over the small one. You're going to want to cover it almost completely. Make sure you leave enough room to sew your case together without sewing it closed. Pin in place.




 Take each stuffed tube and align the edges. Pin in place.





Next, cut out the fabric you want for the front. (It should be the same size as the pinned pieces in the photo above.) Hand or machine stitch the face. You can make it as perfect or imperfect as you want. Personally, I like it when they aren't exact. I think it gives it character, but that's just me. *Please ignore the wrinkles. I really did try ironing, but it didn't seem to work too well on the yellow fabric.




Turn the face right side down so it's facing the blue pieces. Basically, you're just sandwiching it all together now. Align the edges and pin in place. Sew all the way around.





 Zigzag stitch all the way around to clean up the edges. Turn right side out.





Sew and stuff your pillows with extra fabric. Here are the pillowcases before they go on. (I had to make one for a boy and one for a girl since we don't know what she is having yet. Notice the girl's smile is pretty lopsided...oops. Lol!)




 Here they are with the pillows in. (Sorry that my phone pictures are so crappy!)




 A view of the backs with the pockets. These would be perfect little pillows to carry a smaller book & pajamas for sleepovers once the baby gets a little older.






Now it's just a matter of time before we welcome the little one! I can't wait to find out if I need to wrap up the floral or galaxy print!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Check these out!