Search This Blog

Saturday, April 20, 2013

Buttery Crescent Rolls

Does your mom have a favorite recipe that you can NEVER duplicate? One of my mom's many family favorites is her killer dinner rolls. These things are amazing! Any time there is a get together, people always ask her to bring her dinner rolls as her dish to pass. Everyone craves them, and I've never met a person that doesn't like them. They are light and buttery, and perfect for leftover ham sandwiches! 

Mom has given me the recipe, and no matter how many times I try, they never turn out as good as hers. My aunt teases her that she thinks Mom is loading them with MSG to enhance the flavor and that's why they always taste so delicious. I can attest that she does not. :) I've watched her from start to finish. I swear I do everything the same, but it still doesn't work. It's just her magic touch. 

I decided that I need to stop trying to duplicate her rolls, and find a recipe that I CAN make. After making some rolls for dinner last night, I think I finally found my recipe! They aren't quite as light and fluffy as Mom's, but they are still soft and buttery and really hit the spot when you're craving a little taste of home.

I rolled mine into crescent rolls, but couldn't fit them all on the baking sheet, so I did make a small pan of old fashioned dinner rolls. This recipe makes a lot of rolls. :) I wrapped up all our extras and put them in the freezer to enjoy later.


Start by dissolving yeast in warm milk.
Add sugar, salt, melted butter, egg, and 2 cups of the flour and mix well.


Add another 1 1/2-2 cups of the flour and stir well. Dough will be sticky.


Flour a clean surface and scrape dough out onto the surface.


 Add more flour, if necessary, and knead until smooth and elastic.
Don't add too much flour. You don't want the dough too sticky, but it shouldn't be stiff.


 Clean and dry your bowl then add 1-2 Tbsp. oil to coat your bowl.
Place the dough in the bowl. Spin it around then flip it over so that the top is lightly coated in oil.


 Cover in plastic wrap and let rest in a warm place until doubled in size.


 {Decide what type of rolls you want to make. You can fill a greased pan with egg-sized chunks of dough to create old fashioned dinner rolls, or put some smaller pieces in a greased cupcake tin for clover rolls.
If you would like to do crescent rolls like I did, just follow these directions.}


 Once dough is doubled, punch it down and divide into two portions.



Roll each portion of dough into a circular shape. (I didn't do so well at that. Hehe!)



 Take your pizza cutter and slice into sections. 
My rolls were pretty big, but if you want smaller ones, just make more sections.
(Keep in mind that this is only one half of the dough. You will repeat this with the other portion.)


 Roll each section starting at the wide end and rolling towards the narrow end.


 Place on baking sheet with the tip tucked under the roll. 
(I used parchment, but you can also just grease the pan.)


 Let rise until doubled in size.
I had to leave the house so I let them rise while I was gone. It took me longer than I thought so I was gone for an hour and this is how they looked when I came back. Notice how some unraveled a little since I didn't get the tips tucked under well enough. Make sure you do that. :) 


Bake at 375 degrees for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.
Brush tops with butter while still warm (optional).



Recipe adapted from Nomemade Recipes Blog

Ingredients

2 c. milk, warmed 
2 Tbsp. yeast
1/4 c. sugar
2 tsp. salt
1/2 c. butter, melted
1 egg, beaten
4-5 c. flour

Ingredients

1. Dissolve yeast in warm milk.
2. Add sugar, salt, melted butter, egg, and 2 cups of the flour and mix well.
3. Add another 1 1/2-2 cups of the flour and stir well. Dough will be sticky.
4. Flour a clean surface and dump dough out onto surface.
5. Add more flour if necessary and knead until smooth and elastic.
Don't add too much flour. You don't want the dough too sticky, but it shouldn't be stiff.
6. Clean and dry your bowl then add 1-2 Tbsp. oil and coat your bowl.
7. Place the dough in the bowl. Spin it around then flip it over so that the top is lightly coated in oil.
8. Cover in plastic wrap and let rest in a warm place until doubled in size.
Decide what type of rolls you want to make. You can fill a greased pan with egg-sized chunks of dough to create old fashioned dinner rolls, or put some smaller pieces in a greased cupcake tin for clover rolls.
If you would like to do crescent rolls like I did, just follow these directions.
9. Once dough is doubled, punch it down and divide into two portions.
10. Roll dough into a circular shape.
11. Take your pizza cutter and slice into sections. My rolls were pretty big, but if you want smaller ones, just make more sections.
12. Roll each section starting at the wide end and rolling towards the narrow end.
13. Place on baking sheet (I used parchment, but you can also just grease the pan) with the tip tucked under the roll.
14. Let rise until doubled in size.
15. Bake at 375 degrees for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.
16. (Optional) Brush tops with butter while still warm.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Check these out!