Search This Blog

Sunday, May 5, 2013

DIY Infinity Scarf

On black Friday I went shopping with my sister. We saw Infiinity scarves that were awesome, but even on the biggest sale day of the year, they were still $15! I love scarves, but I couldn't bring myself to spend that much on a scarf. Even if it was on sale.

I realized I'm probably not the only one that has a hard time spending that much money on a scarf. I've come across some super cute, yet super thrifty, fabric over the last couple months, and thought that I could make a few scarves to give away as gifts. 

I never realized how easy it would be! 
Now I'm REALLY going to have a hard time ever buying a scarf again!



Start with a long, wide strip of fabric. 
Mine was approximately 23x78 inches. Aren't you proud of me for measuring!? :)


Fold it in half lengthwise (it will look inside out) and pin in place.


Sew along the edge. (Do not sew the ends shut!)


Now turn it right side out.


You should now have a long tubular strip of fabric. 
(Kinda makes me want to make some pajama pants out of my leftover fabric....)


Now match the ends together (align the seam) and pin in place.


Sew as far as you can, making sure to keep the extra fabric out of the way.


There will only be a small hole by the time you get all the way around.


Gently pull and work the fabric out so the whole scarf is right side out.


This is what you should have now.


Hand sew the hole closed using a ladder (or hidden) stitch.


Be sure it's knotted well and snip the thread.




It was so easy, I started making more!



I even cut up this shirt to make one for my mother-in-law. 
(I really liked the print, but it was too loud for me as a top, so I never wore it. 
I thought it would be perfect as a dressier scarf.)

I cut off the arms and the lower torso, and sewed the pieces together so that they were all even.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Check these out!