Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Naked Inspired "Green Machine" Smoothie

I'm starting to think that this whole healthy eating thing might actually be enjoyable. You're probably thinking "of course it is, you goof!", and I see where you're coming from. Don't get me wrong. Most of the time, I do like eating healthy and it makes me feel good, but then I see a chocolate chip cookie or french fries and all my healthy habits go flying out the window.

I have found that, for me to continue eating right, I also need to find ways to cure my cravings. I'm not one of those lucky people that can live without sweets. I love them! And I crave them often. But, unfortunately, I also crave salty, fried, sour & tangy foods. There is no pleasing me. :)

Now that I've been able to find some recipes for meals and snacks that are sweet or salty, yet still healthy, it helps me stay on track while curing those pesky cravings. (Check out my Easy & Healthy Ice Cream!)

For breakfast this morning, I made my hubby and I green smoothies for breakfast. It was the first time we've had homemade green smoothies and they were delicious! They reminded me a lot of the Naked Green Machine Smoothies (hence my title).



I put mine in a to-go cup for our drive to work, and he downed his while he got ready for the day. They were quick, easy, and a great way to have a healthy, filling breakfast. I think I'm going to try to fill freezer bags with all the ingredients (minus the liquid) and keep them in the freezer. That way we can just pull out a bag, dump it in the blender with the liquid, and we would be good to go!


Ingredients

2 large handfuls fresh spinach
1 large banana
1 c. pineapple
1 c. yogurt
1 c. filtered water

Directions

Toss everything in the blender & blend!

*Makes 2 smoothies. 
Drink both now, or cover one and put it in the fridge for later.


(Directions with Photos)

2 handfuls fresh spinach 


1 large banana


1 cup pineapple
(I had some fresh pineapple in the freezer which worked perfectly!)


1 cup yogurt
(If you're looking for some homemade yogurt, click here! It's really yummy and way cheaper!)


1 cup filtered water


Cover and turn on your blender.


I turned mine to the "liquify" setting which worked really well. 
Blend until all the little spinach pieces are gone.


Look at all that green, frothy goodness!


Now drink it up!


On the way to work, we were discussing all the possibilities with this smoothie. 
Here are some ideas we came up with:

Replace the spinach with:
kale

Add:
parsley
apples
blueberries
blackberries
strawberries
raspberries
mango
kiwi
carrots
broccoli

Replace the water with:
fruit juice
coconut water

So many options! :)





1 comment:

  1. Delicious...I did remove the banana and add strawberries and raspberries instead. So many variations that you could make!:)

    ReplyDelete

Check these out!