Search This Blog

Friday, May 24, 2013

Energy Bites (No-Bake)

The weather has been warm, but not quite long enough to get people to jump in the lakes quite yet. I'm pretty sure the outdoor pool at my apartment complex opens this weekend. It just seems to be an ugly reminder that I did not lose as much weight as I would have liked before swimming season. BUT....on a positive note, this week has been quite successful. My husband has gotten into the "I want to lose 30 pounds" mode and it helps me tremendously when he is making healthier choices as well.

We've both been working out and eating healthier. Cutting out unhealthy fats and most carbs. Drinking hot tea instead of coffee loaded with french vanilla creamer. Making homemade vinaigrettes instead of topping our fresh salads with ranch & western dressings. Snacking on celery/carrot sticks and hard boiled eggs instead of a bag of our favorite chips. Blending up frozen fruit and a little yogurt for a smoothie when we're really craving ice cream. I think you get the point. 


Anyway, now that my leg muscles can barely accomplish their task before giving way and crumbling beneath me, I'm actually excited to see a difference! 

I found this recipe via the Gimme Some Oven blog and decided to give it a try. I modified it to what I had on hand, and boy, will I be making these again! They are so yummy and just the right amount of nourishment to get you through a great workout. 

Recipe adapted from Gimme Some Oven


Ingredients

1/3 c. honey
1/2 c. creamy peanut butter
1 tsp. vanilla
1 c. old fashioned rolled oats
1/4 c. flaxseed, ground
1/4 c. wheat bran
2/3 c. coconut flakes, toasted and cooled
1-2 Tbsp. chopped almonds, toasted and cooled
1/4 c. dried fruit (I used raisins and dried cranberries)
1/3 c. chocolate chips


Directions

First, chop your almonds and spread on half of a cookie sheet. Spread coconut on other half.
Toast in oven until edges are golden brown. Remove from oven and cool completely.

Combine honey, peanut butter, and vanilla in medium bowl and mix well.
In separate bowl, combine oats, flaxseed, wheat bran, toasted coconut, and toasted almonds.
Stir in dried fruit and chocolate chips.
Gently stir dry ingredients into creamy mixture and mix thoroughly.
Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
Remove from fridge and form into balls.
Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.


 (Directions with Photos)

First, chop your almonds and spread on half of a cookie sheet. Spread coconut on other half.
Toast in oven until edges are golden brown. Remove from oven and cool completely.

Combine honey, peanut butter, and vanilla in medium bowl and mix well.


In separate bowl, combine oats, flaxseed, wheat bran, toasted coconut, and toasted almonds.
Stir in dried fruit and chocolate chips.


Gently stir dry ingredients into creamy mixture and mix thoroughly.


Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.


Remove from fridge and form into balls.
(I used the medium Pampered Chef scoop (approx. 2 Tbsp), but next time I think I'll use mini dark chocolate chips and use the small scoop (1 Tbsp) instead.)


Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
(I got 21 golf ball-sized balls out of this batch.)


These energy bites remind me of a combination between a chewy granola bar and an oatmeal cookie dough ball. 
Healthy AND satisfying!





5 comments:

  1. These are a favorite in this house!! I also add some unsweetened cocoa powder to mine!! ;) Yum-O!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is the coconut sweetened or unsweetened?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jana,
      I used sweetened coconut, but you could probably use unsweetened, too. Just depends on your preference. If you do use unsweetened, I would love to know how they taste. :)

      Thanks for stopping!

      Delete

Check these out!