Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Guac on a Shamrock!

Guac on a Shamrock
for 
St. Patrick's Day!


 I love St. Patrick's Day!  
I was thinking of what I could make for a special treat.  The first thing I thought of was clover-shaped sugar cookies frosted with a green icing. Then I thought....it is Lent AND I should stay away from making sweets for my children.  So, I thought of something that was fun to make and yummy to eat!


All you need is:
Flour Tortillas
Coconut oil (or butter or oil of your choice)


Spread a cookie sheet with coconut oil.
Using kitchen shears -
Cut the tortillas in a shamrock shape.
(I cut about 3 shamrocks out of a small tortilla)
  

You will notice some are 'cut creatively'.....
that is my eight year old son's handiwork! 
We had fun!  ☺

******************************************************************************

Bake at 425 degrees for about 7 minutes just until they get a bit browned.  
The coconut oil helps them crisp up and oh, it gives such a yummy flavor!



(Of course, you can serve this anytime in any shape!) 
I was amazed with the flavor of the chips.  We will definitely do this again in the future! It was so pleasing to be able to make something fun and tasty that didn't contain sugar!  : )

*******************************************************************

Then comes the Guacamole!


 You will need:

3 ripe avocados
2 TBS. lime juice
1/2 tsp. cumin
1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp. sea salt
1/2 medium onion, diced
2 Roma tomatoes, seeded and diced
1 TBS chopped cilantro
1 clove garlic, minced

Directions:

In a medium sized bowl place the scooped avocado pulp and lime juice in a bowl.  
Using a potato masher add the salt, cumin, and cayenne and mash. 


  
Then fold in the onions, tomatoes, cilantro, and garlic. 


Let it sit at room temperature for 1 hour...


 ...and then serve with your shamrocks. ☺ 
I think you will have some happy faces for this very special day! 

 Have a HAPPY SAINT PATRICK'S Day!




Just a Note:  I used all the 'extra' tortilla shells by cutting them in different shapes for chips and baked them at the same time I baked the shamrocks. 
It was a nice feeling knowing that these were made without any preservatives or without anything bad for you.  : )






2 comments:

  1. Such a cute idea and looks yummy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love guac! This looks great! Cute idea. I like Isaiah's cutting job. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Check these out!