Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Oil Pulling

Oil Pulling. Have you heard of it?? If you haven't...Seriously, it is not as complicated as it sounds! Here is the list of everything you will need to try it:

Coconut Oil.

Yep, that's it. Now you just need to make sure it is organic, cold pressed, and unrefined.


Now what to do with the oil:

1.  Measure out 1-3 teaspoons of coconut oil. (You can also use sesame oil .)

2. Put it in your mouth and gargle for 20 minutes trying to "pull" the oil through your teeth. 

Yep. You read that right. It really does say 20 minutes. :-) I know that sounds crazy but it really isn't as bad as it sounds. I usually put it in before I get it in the shower and keep gargling while I comb my hair and start getting ready for the day.



Now for some tips:

1) It is said that morning, before you eat, is the most beneficial time of the day to do this.

2) DO NOT swallow!

3) Spit the oil into the garbage when finished (you don't want the oil hardening in your pipes).

4) The coconut oil will obviously be solid when you scoop it out of the jar. It will take about 30 seconds for it to "melt" after you put it in your mouth. If that texture makes you a little queasy, go ahead and melt the oil on low heat on the stove top being careful not to overheat before using.



Now for the benefits:

1. Whitens teeth...Yep! That's a good enough reason all on its own! :-)

2. Helps with bad breath!

3. Helps with TMJ!

4. Helps with teeth sensitivity!

5. Helps reduce cavities!

6. Helps with acne, psoriasis, eczema, and other skin issues!

7.  Helps with allergies!

8. Helps you sleep better!

9. Helps hormonal imbalances!

10. Helps your overall health!

Sounds to good to be true, right? :-)


How it works:

Coconut oil, naturally, has anti-bacterial, anti-fungal, & anti-inflammatory properties.  
Now when you are gargling, it is suppose to be "pulling" the toxins out of your body.

  Now... I am not a doctor nor am I claiming to be anything close to one! I have not personally had experience with all of these "claims" but can definitely tell you that I have noticed my teeth becoming whiter, teeth sensitivity decreased, and not nearly as offensive of morning breath! Win! Win! :-)
I am hoping to notice even more changes as the time goes on. :-)

If you have tried "oil pulling" and noticed some positive changes, please comment and let me know! I would love to hear about your experience!!







5 comments:

  1. I started doing it this week, I hope it works for my sensitivity! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you brush your teeth, too, when doing the oil pulling?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I follow this up with brushing my teeth with an all natural fluoride free toothpaste! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting...Sounds gross but I may have to try it. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Check these out!