Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Lentil Chili



As mentioned in a previous post, my father recently had a heart attack.  Since his heart attack he has been on a vegan diet and, so far, has really enjoyed it. To make our meals healthier, my husband and I have experimented with our grub also. 

 It is a little difficult to change up your cooking style when, for me, meat was a priority in every meal; I picked the meat, then decide on the sides. I do believe it will get easier if I stick with it so that is what I intend to do! :)

 Although I was skeptical that chili would be good without ground beef, it was a good thing I gave it try.  This chili was very good.  It didn't even make you miss the ground beef!

I can't say I will give up my meat completely, but I am liking trying new recipes and not always staying in the same "meat & 3" mentality.

A couple adjustments I am going to make next time:

Cut down on the lime
Add pepper
Add a little more chili powder 

but...

WE LOVE SPICES!
(so adjust accordingly)

Lentil Chili

3/4 c. chopped onion
3/4 c. chopped celery
1/2 c. chopped carrots
1 med. chopped pepper
1 T. minced garlic

3 c. low sodium vegetable broth

2 1/4 tsp. chili powder
1/2 tsp. cumin
1/2 tsp. paprika
1/4 tsp. smoked paprika
1/4 tsp. cayenne

1 c. dry red lentils
1- 15 oz can low sodium crushed tomatoes
1- 15 oz can dark red kidney beans, drained and rinsed)

1/2 lime, zested and juiced
salt and pepper to taste


Mix chopped onion, celery, carrots, pepper, and garlic. 


Mix chili powder, cumin, paprika, smoked paprika, and cayenne in a small bowl.  


Gather all ingredients. 


In a large sauce pan, put 1 c. of broth and veggies over med/high heat.  





 Cook until veggies soften, about 5-7 minutes.


Add spices.  Stir.  Cook another minute.


Add lentils, kidney beans, tomatoes, and remaining broth.

Cover and bring to a boil over high heat.

Reduce to med/low and simmer until lentils are soft, approximately 45 minutes.



Stir in lime juice and zest just before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Check these out!