Search This Blog

Monday, June 2, 2014

Raspberry Chia Jam

I have another love. (Sorry, hunny.) I'm giddy and excited when I see them, can't wait to mix it up and try something new. It puts a smile on my face when I know that this weird -yet amazing- relationship is perfect. My new love's name?

Chia Seeds.

Yes, I know it's not a typical crush, and no, I'm not leaving my husband for some seeds, but oh, do I love them! Yes, LOVE. Besides the many health benefits I've read about chia seeds, they are just super versatile and fun. They may not be a huge flavor enhancer, but they make texture changes that are truly awesome.


You've already seen chia seeds in my post on Raisin & Almond Crunch Cereal.
You could also add them to the No-Bake Energy Bites, Naked-Inspired Green Machine Smoothie, or the  Fruit Medley Smoothie for an added nutrition boost!

This post, however, will give you another reason to love chia seeds! Not only do they go well in smoothies, cereals, and cookies, but you can also use them to make your very own, EASY, refrigerator jam!!!
Now, this is not your typical jam or jelly with the pectin and granulated sugar where you have to cook it down, then can it, and let it cool. This is a 4 ingredient, 5 minute, super simple fruit spread that is absolutely delicious.

It is perfect to use on homemade toast with regular butter, or any type of nut butter.
You could spread it on a whole grain cracker, or right over your Saturday morning flapjacks.
Maybe stir it into your frozen yogurt, or spread a spoonful over your Homemade English Muffins!


Ingredients

6 oz. carton fresh raspberries, cleaned
1/4 c. water
1 Tbsp. honey
3 Tbsp. chia seeds


Directions

Place your raspberries in a blender.
Add the honey, water, and chia seeds.
Blend well.
Transfer to a jelly jar.
Cover, and place in the refrigerator for at least 12 hours before using.


(Directions with Photos)

Place your raspberries in a blender.


Add the honey, water, and chia seeds.


Lookin' good...


Blend well.


(I didn't do it, but if you'd like the spread to be chunky, you can stir in small pieces of fruit now.)


Pour into a jelly jar.


Cover, and place in the refrigerator for at least 12 hours before using.


After 12 hours, your spread will be ready to use!

The chia seeds will gel up a bit and thicken the "jam" without having to use pectin or any cooking methods! Along with those perks, as well as not adding any granulated sugar, this has got to be one of the healthiest (not to mention easiest!) fruit spreads you can make!


I'm not sure how long this will last in the fridge, but I'm guessing about 7-10 days? We will see. :)

 I'm going to try different types of fruits next time! Maybe a combination of blueberries and raspberries, or strawberries and rhubarb...or blackberry! Ooh, this is going to be fun! :) 





2 comments:

Check these out!