I enjoy when you can find a recipe similar to something you really love. My husband loves the Oriental Chicken Salad at Applebee's. We had our date night there and he ordered his salad. After taking a few bites, he suggested that we put a copycat recipe on our blog. After going to the grocery store for a few things, we made this. Very yummy! Give it a try!
3 T. honey
1 1/2 T. rice wine vinegar
1/4 c. mayonnaise
1 tsp. grey poupon dijon mustard
1/8 tsp. sesame oil
2 to 4 cups vegetable oil (for frying)
1/2 c. milk
1/2 c. flour
1/2 c. corn flake crumbs
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1 skinless chicken breast fillet
3 c. chopped romaine lettuce
1 c. chopped red cabbage
1 c. chopped napa cabbage
1/2 carrot, julienned or shredded
1 green onion, chopped
1 T. sliced almonds
1/3 c. crispy chow mein noodles
1. In a small bowl, blend dressing ingredients together. Place in the refrigerator while preparing the salad.
2. Preheat the oil in the fryer to 350 degrees F.
3. In a small bowl, mix egg and milk. Set aside.
4. In another bowl, mix flour with corn flake crumbs, salt and pepper. Set aside.
5. Cut chicken breast into strips. Dip each strip of chicken in egg mixture and then in the flour mixture. Fry each piece for 5 minutes or until crispy.
6. Prepare salad by mixing romaine, red cabbage, napa cabbage, and carrots.
7. Top with green onions.
8. Toast almonds for approximately 4 minutes, or until light brown.
9. Sprinkle salad with almonds and the chow mein noodles.
10. Cut the chicken into bite size chunks. Place the chicken on salad.
11. Serve the dressing on the side.